Moving - oh, how I hate moving | Main | I'm still alive

September 30, 2007

Farm stuff!

I learned how to drive the tractor yesterday! I cannot believe how complicated it is. You have to worry about hydraulics and all kinds of stuff. But I did manage to mow a bunch of weeds down. Took me a long time, those tractors move pretty slowly. I also managed to discover a tractor weight from the previous owner - the mower hit it - and some rocks. We have some pretty rocky land. I think I'll see if John can raise the cutting height to something like 8 or 9 inches off the ground - maybe even 10 inches - that way, the mower will miss most of those rocks!

John put the round pen up for me yesterday. At least most of it - we are going to use it as a temporary paddock for Willy and Petey until we finish the stalls (if I can get the postholes dug and the posts set today, I can finish the stalls tomorrow).

John got the 150 gallon stock tank filled with water and set up with a float that will keep the water level even.

John hurt when he got up this morning - I'm causing my sweet husband pain with all this moving stuff and horse stuff and farm stuff.

Oh, Friday evening - around 7"00 pm - it was so, so cool - I could hear the honking of geese, but I could not see them - then they flew around the barn and over the house - they were flying so low that I could actually hear their wings flapping. They were most definitely headed south.

The hummingbirds left on the first day of Autumn. It was weird - one day, I have humming birds everywhere, the next day, they are all gone, and they are different species, so it was even weirder.

I have limited time to spend on the internet right now, as I have to drive back to the house in town to use it until AT&T gets their act together and sets everything up at the farm!

Today, we bring the horses home!!! And, I have to get all their tack and stuff from the stable at Ft. Leavenworth to our new home.

Very exciting for me!

Posted by Beth at September 30, 2007 8:19 AM

Comments

Sounds like everything is progressing at a steady pace... I know you love having the ponies at home with you... :D

Posted by: pam at September 30, 2007 9:18 AM

BAWAHAHAHAHA The tractor is complicated! Yep, I reckon. The one I learned to drive on when I was knee high to a tadpole didn't have hydraulics..we pulled a 3 X16 mowboard plow and to raise and lower the plow blades I had to reach behind me and pull them up with a rope..the first Hydraulic I climbed on was easy after that..

Posted by: GUYK at September 30, 2007 10:56 AM

Tractors are fun - but they are complicated. The Hubster used to have a small herd of cows and a bunch of equipment when I met him (from a previous ranch they owned). I got to drive a big-ass John Deere tractor, a Case bulldozer (just a little one, about the size of a D-4), and a semi-truck (13 gears, baby!). I had so much fun until they sold all the toys :-)

I'm so happy for you two - and I am sure having the horses at home will be great. Geese, however, are not that exciting around here. In fact - they don't seem to go anywhere, and are here year-round. Some golf courses have a real goose-poop problem near water ... yuck. Sometimes they are out on the driving range - but I've never hit one. Yet. hehehe.

Posted by: Barb at September 30, 2007 1:31 PM

I almost put the Massey in the ditch when I was 5, so Dad said no more tractors for me until I was in college.

The horses are home - weehee! They are definately worth any pain - I know. Need any help working them? I'm only a couple hours away & have a bad case of the horse-itch...

Posted by: LadyGunn at October 2, 2007 5:24 AM

Does this mean hayrides when I come to visit?

Posted by: Maggie at October 2, 2007 1:30 PM

Yes, Maggie - we can arrange hayrides...

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at October 3, 2007 6:43 PM

I can relate the hurting and the moving. But the best part is moving into a place you really want. I'm not unpacked at all, but I'm enjoying my new place, too.

Sounds wonderful. I'm so happy for you guys.

Posted by: FbL at October 6, 2007 9:02 AM